Starting January 27th through April 15th, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program will be back at the Goodwill located at 5307 Kingston Pike in Knoxville. This free service offers tax preparation to low-to moderate-income families and households who need assistance with their tax returns by certified volunteers.
Volunteers will be present Tuesday through Thursday from 10:00am to 3:00pm and Saturday from 10:00am to 2:30pm.
If you’re interested in VITA assisting you with your taxes, you should bring the following documents with you:
- Social security card for every person going on the return
- Photo ID for taxpayer (and spouse, if a joint return)
- Original paperwork for all income (W-2s, 1099Rs, SSA1099s, etc.)
- Proof of health insurance – NEW REQUIREMENT
- (Optional) Information on expenses for deductions
- (Optional) Last year’s return
- (Optional) Proof of account for direct deposit
For more information regarding eligibility requirements or materials needed for tax prep, please visit www.irs.gov.